3.22.2012

Farewell, Etsy - It's Been A Slice

Emptied out my Etsy store today and placed it on indefinite hiatus.  It has been over six months since I had a sale there.  For all of my reasons, including lack of sales - read ThePlaypen's review of Etsy HERE on CNET.  I wholeheartedly agree with all of their points.  It was dated June of 2010, but nothing's changed except for the worse there.
EDIT:  Just so you know I gave this a fair trial, I've been selling on Etsy since August of 2006.  I did all right for the first couple of years, then it all started coming apart - as soon as they killed the free-wheeling forums and standardized the rose colored glasses approach I should have decamped, but whether through inertia or blind loyalty I hung in there.

Giving The Craft Star a hard look.  I can't stop making stuff, and I can't keep it all, so I need a sales venue that fits me.  Until they launch and I have a chance to evaluate what they're offering, I might try Artfire - they have a free trial offer so I've got nothing to lose there but some time. 

I made some bracelets last weekend.  Six, actually. Maybe what I need isn't a new sales venue.  Maybe what I need is an intervention. 

Pics to follow soon.
EDIT:
The bracelet pics, as promised:

These are stretchy bangles, made with metal rounds and Red Creek jasper tiles.  I love them.  And yes, I wear them all at once.


8 comments:

  1. Hi, Morwyn!

    There's also Ecwid: http://www.ecwid.com

    You can sell things right on your blog, if you want.

    There's also Needle's Haystack:

    http://www.needleshaystack.com/

    I'm going to go read the review of Etsy now. I was thinking of selling there, but I should probably know what I'm getting into!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the links! I'll check those out!

      Delete
  2. *sigh* I never tried to sell anything on Etsy; I have bought a few things.

    Based on what I have seen it works well for some but for most it is a struggle.

    I am sorry it did not work for you, especially since I love the jewelry you create. I hope you find a place to sell your jewelry where you will flourish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the commiseratin', KJ - but just thinking about trying a new venue has me kind of excited, fired up even and planning out some new pieces.

      Delete
    2. Ohh... those bracelets look great stacked.

      I am back to send you to this blog post:
      http://abeadersblog.blogspot.com/2012/03/free-shop-for-life-giveaway-from.html
      This is a new site to list your jewelry on. I am not sure if it is good or not but the price is right.

      Delete
    3. Thanks for the heads' up on this one, KJ - I'll give it a hard look, too - and thanks for the kind words!

      Delete
  3. Morwyn - I wish you the best of luck! I have fair success with my Etsy shop, but I think it's only because I renew things so frequently to get them more views. Artfire was a complete waste of time for me, and I cancelled my account there a few months ago.

    It's hard to find a venue that suits beadwoven work in particular, I think. People are, for the most part, unaware of how much time and effort goes into beadwoven jewelry and are therefore unwilling to pay for heirloom quality work.

    I've always been a fan of your work, so I hope you keep creating and posting on your blog and on Facebook so I can oooh and aaah. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mary Lou - and I appreciate the feedback on Artfire. You're very right about the difficulty inherent in presenting quality beadweaving to a cyber-public - but until I'm able to do craft shows again, I have to rely on internet venues to put my work out there. I'm seriously giving The Craft Star a look. I like the idea of starting out on a blank slate.

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.