3.05.2011

February Finished

My journal piece for February is finished (and has been for a few days):





Healing Hearts/in the pink
Summing it up, here's the collage:


The components starting from the top left and going clockwise are: a carved and painted wooden heart, rhodonite hearts, rhodonite round cabochon, dyed freshwater pearls, Wild Horse magnesite rondelles and a pink quartz triangle, all nested in various background filling stitches of Japanese and Czech seed beads.  I mounted the badge on a zippered Ralph Lauren pink faux leather case - I think it was from a fragrance gift set - and removed the lining, replacing it with black suede, and now it's a jewelry box!

That was fun.  Now what?  I haven't got a clue what to do this month.  All I know is that it's going to be a serious crunch for time.  I'm getting ready for my first craft market/fair/show in something like 7 years.  I found my old show-prep checklist so I'm not totally lost - but I do need to make a bit of fill-in stock (some keychains, a few pendants, that kinda thing) and practice my set up routine.

I came up with some earring designs just for this show:



Carved bone skulls, pewter spacers, and KLEW leaves (polymer clay from Karen Lewis) - sort of a springtime take on the Day of the Dead - perfect for a spring themed indie craft market, I'd say.

And since I was noodling around with the skull beads, I made a treat for myself - a 56" endless strand:
Lo There Do I See

I was inspired by the Norse battle prayer quoted in the movie, "The 13th Warrior":

Lo there do I see my father. Lo there do I see my mother and my sisters and my brothers. Lo there do I see the line of my people, back to the beginning. Lo, they do call to me, they bid me take my place among them, in the Halls of Valhalla, where the brave may live...forever.

Cheers!




9 comments:

  1. love the bjp piece! the skull things are great! i love how the spacers look like little hats. creative!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your BJP entry is GORGEOUS! I just love the colors and layout, and thanks for including the progress pics. I'm just starting with bead embroidery and love to see how you did each step.

    Oh and I just love the skulls!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The piece turned out beautifully. As we all knew it would of course.
    As for next month I am quite sure you will think of something!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful piece, love the colours, but more than that I have fallen totally in love with those little figures you use to showcase your stunning work. Can I ask where they came from. I probably won't be able to get any because I live in the UK and I have never seen anything so nice here. Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is absolutely beautiful. I can't get over how many new (to me, at least) and wonderful ideas all the BJP people have.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is gorgeous. One aspect I really like is the rounded corners on the square. They really seem to pull the whole piece together.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's stunning! I love the colors. I was wondering how you filled in the larger areas? Bead by bead?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, everyone, for taking time to comment and for all the kind words!
    @Lynne - the 'models' I use can be found at http://www.kidrobot.com/wwwkidrobotcom/MUNNYWORLD/index.html
    @Blissful - I used several different techniques to fill in the larger areas - some are 3-bead loops, others are single bead mosaic.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  9. the heart piece is just beautiful, and love how you created a bag with it!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.