1.09.2011

The Bead Journal Project 2011

In 2007 I participated in the first Bead Journal Project.  My motive for doing so was pretty straightforward.  I wanted to challenge myself; to make a commitment to myself and honor it by meeting the monthly deadlines, and in the process perfect my skills as a designer, artist and craftsperson.  When we came to the end I had my sense of completion and accomplishment.  I heard no inner to call to make that journey again.

Now, 3 1/2 years later, I find myself on the shore of that sea of possibilities and once more I am hearing that call.  I can't really describe it any better than that. 

And so we go again.

The main focal is a small agate slice of unknown origin.  I love its layers of color and differing textures.

The second element is a jasper oval - I chose it for its dreamlike colors.

I want to keep the color palette very simple for this piece - brass, black, white, and garnet.

I thought about what I wanted to express and sketched out some preliminary ideas.  Once I start the embroidery, it remains to be seen how close or far I am from this beginning.

My idea for this year is to make "badges," 3.5 inch square bead embroidered pieces which I can use in several different ways.  The January piece, "Just Below the Surface," will decorate a leather sketchbook cover.



8 comments:

  1. The gemstones you selected are so beautiful. I like your palette. I am really looking forward to progress pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to see what you do this year. You are always an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whatever you choose to create, Morwyn, I know it will be sublime....
    A very happy journaling to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post thanks for sharing it with us. Beading is a great hobby of mine and I’ve been doing it for awhile. I enjoy reading your blog very much it’s very useful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like this will be a really peaceful and pretty page! I cant wait to see what the end result will be! I love your color choices and the focal piece is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's really great to have you back in the BJP again this year, Morwyn! I've missed the regular contact with you during the past two years. As always, I love what you're doing and especially the idea of the "badges" that can be used for various purposes! Will you "talk" a little about your process, the materials and steps you go through to begin one of the badges? Thanks!!!

    Robin A.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just added your blog to my favorites list on mine, Bead Salad. I love the colors you're choosing for this piece and can't wait to see what you do with it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, everyone, for all the kind words!

    @Robin: Interesting question - lemme think on that some.

    ReplyDelete