11.27.2009

Project Four Complete; Project Five Abbreviated; Project Six Begun

The purse is complete.  My objective in doing this project was to practice tubular even count peyote, a bit of odd count peyote, and following a chart.

Set The Controls
.
The chart I created is my own version of a Native American sun symbol.  I decided to make a wristlet strap with beaded crochet instead of the longer, braided leather strap I initially intended.  The finished dimensions of the purse are approximately 4.25" wide by 4/5" tall and .5" deep.
.
Now to Project Five:  Two-Carrot Earrings, designed by Liz Manfredini (Creative Bead Weaving, pp. 50 - 51).  I read over the directions and realized I didn't have any felt in any color on hand.  I figured I could just make the beaded form then stuff it with polyfil, which I do have.  So I began and as the carrot started to take shape I knew it was much larger than anything I'd ever wear.  I scaled it down considerably by making the starting round with only 12 beads and making it much shorter. I made the carrot leaves smaller and shorter as well.  I made a baby carrot and it didn't need stuffing either.  It wanted to be a pendant, not a pair of earrings, so that's what it is.
.

   
 One Carrot Necklace
.
I've now begun work on Project Six, Mortimer the Figure Pin designed by Merri Beth Hill (Creative Bead Weaving, pp. 50 -52).  I'm looking over the materials list and I see it calls for a face button.  I don't have face buttons, but I do have some glass face beads.  I've got everything else, so looks like I'm good to go.  The techniques are odd-count tubular peyote, decreasing, and fringe.  I'm thinking I might do a bit of surface embellishing as well.  

.
Here's a little bonus.  I've been going through my bag of old pieces that need reworking/remaking/recycling.  I found a leather pouch with a beaded accent piece that I haven't used in a dozen years.  I reworked the piece into a necklace.  It's my goal to finish taking care of all the pieces in the rework bag before the end of the year.
.

.
Cheers!

3 comments:

  1. geeeeesh Morwyn, you make me feel like such a slug. do you eat and sleep and do laundry and all that other stuff regular people do???? or do you just beadBEADBEEEEEEEEEAD?!?!?!

    Very cool stuff, tho :>]]

    slinking away now to tell my beads I really miss them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome work, Morwyn! Your package arrived today, too . . .


    Kathy V in NM

    ReplyDelete
  3. @KV - Yay! Glad it got there - I hope safe and sound?

    @Sweetpea - Yes, I do all the stuff normal people do! I run a used book store, too, which is one of the reasons why that purse took me soooo long to finish. I WISH I could just BeadBeadBead. Something to look forward to when they wheel me into the Home one day!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.