3.28.2009

It's Hard To Draw With Training Wheels on My Pencil

I jumped right in with this drawing program. The results of my first four drawings were to give me a base line to look back on after I finish up. The first drawing is of a person, drawn from memory. Oddly enough it's a self-portrait. The second drawing is a self-portrait done by looking in a mirror.
The third and fourth drawings were observational sketches, one of my hand and the other of my chair here at work. After doing these drawings, you're supposed to give your impressions - good and bad - of your work. I think my drawing is representational, by which I mean you can tell what I'm drawing but at the same time it's very flat and sort of cartoonish.

This is a fun exercise called vases/faces. It gets you to start recognizing right and left brain ways of seeing and expressing.
Now this was Big Fun. In the book, Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain, there is an exercise that really changes the way you perceive things. You're given a drawing by Picasso to copy, but you have to do it upside down. This forces your brain to see and interpret what is seen in serious right-brain mode. I was stunned when I flipped it over - holy cow! I really can draw!!


Here's the original so you can compare:

Not too shabby for an old beginner, eh?

1 comment:

  1. You are having way too much fun! Drawing becomes quite addictive, doncha think? Nearly as so as beading . . .


    Kathy V in NM

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.