11.02.2008

Progress As Promised



When I first scanned the image of the stethoscope, something went a little wonky with my scanner - the first image I got was not the usual full-color photo render. What appeared in the monitor was a very stark black and white image. It was visually arresting to me. In that moment I knew what I wanted to do with it. I printed it and started sketching right away. Once I saw what I wanted it to be, I had to work backward in my head as to how to achieve it.

The initial stage of beading would have to be a fairly substantial base from which I could work multiple levels of embellishment. I opted for a netted base done with Japanese size 11 seed beads (color 318c) stitched with extra-fine smoke colored Fireline. I only have a bit more to go and the base is complete.

Then the fun really begins.

I'm supposed to be working on my NaNoWriMo novel right now, but I need to warm up my writing muscles with a little blogging. As long as I'm here, I'll show you my latest photos for my current favorite cuff, "Come To My Aid."






I love slide clasps. This is the first piece for which I've had the opportunity to use UltraSuede as the backing. I have to say I really love it. It doesn't have the weight or substance I'm used to with leather, but my needle loves it. I just wish it weren't quite so expensive.

And don't forget:

Clicking on the banner takes you to my beading challenge, in case you missed it.

3 comments:

  1. I like your beading challenge! In a way, that is what I am doing with my current project... although I think it wil be mixed media in the end...

    Keep up the great work! I love your beaded cuffs! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is going to be so amazing! I actually woke up this a.m. thinking about my piece. My biggest fear is losing my eyesight, so I have the idea, but not sure how I want to depict it.

    I completely agree with the ultrasuede. I love it too, but the cost can be crazy. Check out ebay, I've had good luck on there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your cuff and stethoscope...and I think I have some idea of how you feel....I've had subscriptions to B & B and Beadwork since their first issues and this year I had to make the decision to stop getting them (for various reasons, all good), but it's been hard to just stop!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.