4.22.2008

BJP for March: Ostara



This took freakin' forever. I must have sketched my ideas over and over and over. I knew what I wanted to do, but it just never wanted to come together. A few weeks ago I was wandering around in an overpriced imported food grocery store - you know the kind I mean, where a box of Earl Grey tea and a bottle of British ketchup occasions the taking out of a small business loan - anyway. I spotted this display of sale stuff. There was a bundle of "spring themed cookie cutters." Eureka!!

Easter time always reminds me of my childhood. Every spring we'd have a week off from school, so rather than let us run nuts around the neighborhood, our parents would drag us to Vacation Bible School. I remember carving blocks of Ivory soap into anamorphic blobs that were supposed to be chicks or bunnies, and we covered Scotties paper napkins with crayon abstracts of flowers.

Later I found meaning in those symbols of spring, but I never lost my nostalgic feeling for the simplicity of their representations.

So there I am, smack in the middle of the egg full of pearls of wisdom, waiting to hatch. A tulip, a forget-me-not, a chick and a bunny. These all spell the promise of spring, the beginning of life, the stirring of energies. Ostara. Vernal Equinox.

7 comments:

  1. love it! Love your description leading up to the discovery of your cookie cutters... and the result!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well worth the effort!
    It is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, yes, yes! It took me right back to Vacation Bible School. Great page.

    Arline

    ReplyDelete
  4. This month's piece seems to have more color in it than I remember from your other pieces. It's a whole new look and feel!

    I got a good laugh out of taking a loan out to pay for groceries. We have several stores like that in Ann Arbor and I know just what you mean.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A really fun adaptation, Morwyn! Although you strived for that "coloring book" look, this page still fits in so beautifully with your entire year.

    And thanks for the laugh in your commentary, too . . .


    Kathy V in NM

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is incredible as your pieces always are! I am loving looking at them on the Flickr site and the new BJP 2007-08 site. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A great page. Cookie cutter outlines maybe but designer fillings! Wonderful story too. I got to run around for a week like a little heathen!!

    ReplyDelete