9.20.2007

For The Record (that I might never forget)

See previous post for context.

At the top of my blog it says this space is for "works-in-progress, works that don't progress, stuff I make, stuff I break, and stuff I sell." I'm not really sure which category this falls under.

THE ANALYSIS:

The Mountain Sunrise - You can see the puckering from the shrinkage most clearly along the clasp edge. Cause of puckering: Thread used was crystal fireline, and repeated exposure to water caused shrinkage. Most of the lilac beads and some of the gold have lost their finish. Most of the frosted yellow have bleached out. The white-gold finish has rubbed off the findings completely. There is some kind of mineral build-up around the knobs of the clasps.

Conclusion: Bracelet cannot be repaired. Most of the beads, and the clasps, have to be discarded. The thread shrinkage cannot be reversed.
Recommendation: Tear-down, salvage what beads still have their finish; write it off.

The Far Sunset - There is a closed tear along the knobbed clasp side. Cause of tear: The thread along the stress edge has rotted from continuous exposure to water. The copper finish has rubbed off most of the copper beads, exposing the underlying white glass, effectively destroying the piece, color-wise. Some of the purple beads have lost luster, again ruining the effect.

Conclusion: Bracelet cannot be repaired. Most of the beads to be discarded are in the center of the piece. The smoke fireline used has been too compromised and weakened. The entire piece would require reweaving.
Recommendation: Tear-down, salvage the clasps and those beads that still have their finish; write it off.

The Midnight Sky - The closed tear is approx. 1" from the knobbed clasp side. Most of the silver beads have lost their finish, exposing clear glass. Thead used was Nymo D. It has puckered and shrunk, creating an uneven surface. The gunmetal finish on the clasps has discolored unpleasantly.

Conclusion: Bracelet cannot be repaired. Most of the beads, and the clasps, have to be discarded. The thread is severely compromised and weakened.
Recommendation: Tear-down, salvage what beads still have their finish; write it off.

Now, stop crying and get on with the autopsy.

The Mountain Sunrise

The pile of beads on the left and the clasps are being discarded. The pile on the right can be salvaged.

The Far Sunset

The pile of beads on the left is being discarded. The pile on the right and the clasps can be salvaged.

The Midnight Sky

The pile of beads on the left and the clasps are being discarded. The pile on the right can be salvaged.

I look back at the "before" pictures and I realize the designs I created were too lovely to be abandoned completely. I'm going to redesign them, not as wide this time, and give them the button closures I wanted to do the first time.

And I'll get going on that as soon as I finish Vincent, which should be tomorrow - all that's left to do with him are his ears!

6 comments:

  1. It's time to move on. Can't wait to see the finished Vincent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry, but you had me laughing so hard with your writing. The names of the pics alone did me in. I don't think that was your intent, but it just struck me terribly funny.

    Glad to see you're attempting to move past the painful negative side of it so quickly. I still sit here and just shake my head in disbelief as how some folks don't have the sense to treat something so pretty with the respect it deserves.

    I admit, I'm excited to see your re-do's. I have a feeling I just might witness a phoenix rise from the ashes of that disaster.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No more pearls before swine, right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You go, girl! And those new bracelets are going to be so darn awesome that woman in Florida is going to eat her heart out -- cause they won't be hers!


    Kathy V in NM

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gosh, this is so shocking ! What did she do with them ? Wear them in the swimming pool/sea ?!

    These designs were so nice and delicate ! I hope you do them again and find them a suitable home.

    Tell you what, next time you sell a piece you should put a paper with it that limits your guarantee/free repair to "normal" use of jewels.

    Hugs,

    Hélène

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Morwyn, My heart goes out to you dear. I know those three pieces where so beautiful and I am sure that this has been so hard on you. But it is good you moved on from that and your going to use the designs again.
    I think you where very good to that woman.
    Hugs,
    Sunni

    ReplyDelete