8.26.2007

September Page: Ways of Working/Part 3




I realized after I did the fill-in for the center block that I should have outlined the outer blocks first - trying to bead a straight line along the filled-in edge was trickier than I wanted it to be. But the fill-in for the center came out more beautiful than I expected. I was distracted by the effect it produced (that's my story and I'm sticking to it). The size 15 brass seeds seem to float on the size 11 frosted and opaque blue, and the colors play off of each other to give an impression of softness . . . I do so love the happy accident.










September has always meant 'back to school' to me, no matter how many years it's been since I've walked into a classroom as a student. Each of the gemstone leaves represents a year of formal education, all the little metal leaves represent my more informal, unorthodox episodes of learning. The central figure stands for all my teachers, in school and out, that left such lasting marks on my mind and soul. I've been thinking about all of them, all the stray bits that stuck with me through all the years. The traveling art teacher who convinced us we had "magic hands." My third grade teacher who had all the girls make sun bonnets out of construction paper, because ladies never went hatless into the sunshine.















So many more, so many lessons, so few of which had anything to do with reading, writing or arithmetic; all taken to heart. The title for this month's page is "Sensei," the Japanese word for teacher that carries with it a deep sense of respect and honor.

10 comments:

  1. I wish every one of your Sensei could see this lovely piece and know of your tribute! Really, it is sensational, both in appearance and in message. Maybe with your work, in some way, you thank ALL teachers. I hope so. Robin

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bow to you and to all the other BJP participants who have taught me so much already...thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You got a lot accomplished=:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are truly one of the most magical beaders. In style and in speed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really liked your fill for the center too. The gold does look like its floating. Makes me think of concerts my son told me about where everyone got so excited they floated people over their heads.

    Some teachers are so special they should be remembered.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your pages are so magical, in every way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This page is truly special. Your sentiments for it are wonderful, too. Your artistry is beyond awesome!


    Kathy V in NM

    ReplyDelete
  8. Morwyn, your work is so incredible.
    So touching. The colors always warm my soul. I think you are one of the most talented beaders I have ever met.
    Hugs,
    Sunni

    ReplyDelete
  9. The texture, the shapes, the colors, the different finishes on the beads, the sacred feeling to it - I love it all! -Karen

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful tribute to the teachers in your life and the lessons that we learn that stay with us years later. Also that we are all teachers and are sharing what we have learned with each other. Thank you for sharing yours with us.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.