8.19.2007

September Page: Ways of Working



This is how I begin.

When I first signed up for the grand adventure that is the Bead Journal Project, I knew I wanted each of my journal pages to have a common, connective element beyond just the size. Once I determined that size (5"x5"), I cut out my twelve pieces of interfacing. I found enough 'orphan stones' and cabochons to create a central figure for each page. I made my margin marks and glued the stones in place. I cut out all my pieces of leather for backing, then stored all the bits out of sight.











When I'm ready, I take out the prepared 'page' and scan it. Then I print out several copies of it and doodle away with colored pencils, letting my mind wander around, stuffing in all sorts of things. Eventually I hit on a sequence or motif that strikes the right chord in me.

I take my sketch and start rooting through the bead stash. This is where things start going wonky. I'll find a handful of beads that just beg to be included, but don't quite fit with my plan. So the plan begins to morph and adapt. This is my favorite part, making it all come back together.

That's my next step, and a blog for another day.

6 comments:

  1. Boo -- all I am getting is the dreaded red X for photos . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. I start out with colored pencils, too! I have an art journal and I like to take my favorite ideas and expand them into my work. Your journal pages are awesome and I can't wait to see the next one! Thanks for sharing your process with us :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm finding that the different ways people approach this project are just as fascinating to me (if not more so) as the actual artwork itself.
    And then there's all the different sizes and shapes being done...and finally how we're all going to put them together in the end....this would make a very interesting master's thesis!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing how your journal pages are created. Watching another artist's process is so fascinating! -Karen

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ kv: I think I got the picture problem fixed - not sure what happened there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Morwyn!

    Photos are coming through great today -- love your creative process and explanation. It's nearly as good as taking a class!


    Kathy V in NM

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.