6.19.2007

My Friend Flickr



At the dawn of the ice age, when the world and I were young, I participated in juried craft shows. Back then, you had to provide the judges with slides of your work. I agonized over those pictures. I begged for photograpy advice from everyone - I got my little portfolio together after weeks of fussing and fidgeting. I guarded it zealously, using those same slides as my passport to making sales. The last show I did must have been over seven years ago. I have no idea what happened to those slides. I stopped making a record of the things I created - I just made them and sold them out of my bookstore.

When I got a website for the bookstore, I worked with my web guy to make a page there for my jewelry, dolls, and handbound journals. No shopping cart or anything like that - just a tidy little showcase of my stuff. I didn't have a digital camera then, just a really good scanner. As things sold, I'd just delete the photos from my computer, losing the record of what I did and how I did it.

These days I find myself remembering different pieces and wishing I'd scanned them, kept them. Beads hold memories. Where I was, who I lived with, where I'd been, who loved me and who and what I loved - it would all be reflected in the way I'd put these little bits of glass and stone together. The older I get, the more meaningful it becomes to keep a record of my time and art.

My Madskillz beading pro daughter, The Jade Dog, introduced me to Etsy, then later to lov.li. Taking pictures became more important - the scans were okay, but when I got my little digital camera I saw the difference immediately. I've had a photobucket account for a while, but I just recently got a Flickr account. The free version. Just to see if I like it.

This is what I've managed so far: Peyote Stitch Exemplar

I'm working on two other sets, but it may take a while. Only so many hours in the day, and right now I need to bead.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful beadwork. I really like the one you did for the spring challenge too. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete