5.29.2007

The Far Sunset, In Progress

I began work on this flat peyote band bracelet a few days ago. I had some problems working out exactly how I was going to do this - my customer wants a band in sunset colors. I went through I don't know how many photography and art books, looking for the perfect sunset. I found my inspiration in a Maxfield Parrish painting. I picked out the colors I wanted to use. Now. I really suck at charting designs, and I can't seem to work out how to use beading software. Someday, maybe. So how to do this in a practical way?

Someone emailed a YouTube video to me. It shows a group of monks creating a sand painting mandala on the floor in a roped-off area of a busy airport. The monks leave for the day. A toddler escapes his mother just long enough to - well, you get the idea.

And so did I - I spread the beads out on my work surface like a sand painting, laying out the colors for the sunset just as I wanted them to appear. The first photo came out a bit overexposed. The second one is a somewhat darker, but more representative of the colors. The last picture is a close-up of the band itself as it is emerging.


The fun thing about this piece is that looked at from one direction, it's a sunset over water. From the other direction, it's a sunset over land. I do love the copper tones.

2 comments:

  1. This is really something and so beautiful. I have not had the courage to try a Peyote stitch but you have it down pat!

    It is indeed a beautiful sunset.

    Linda
    http://gallerialindashowcase.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice bead work, I really like the colors and pattern that you have done in your work. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.